  • Subject: Re: SYS Programs Authorization
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 15:07:06 EDT

>  From:    hason@pbsvb.cz (PBS Velka Bites, a.s. - AIS)
>
>  AS400 BPCS v.6.004, mixed mode

from Al Macintyre 405 CD mixed mode

>  Hi guys,
>  I had to create user (technician) with no authorizations to BPCS programs,
> except SYS013C - workstation data area maintenance.
>  I have not succeded yet to give him authorization by SYS600.
>  It seems the single SYS programs authorization is done somehow differently?
>
>  Thanks
>   Otto

I have found that the SYS programs authorization is done pretty much the same
way as all the other programs authorization, but there are some nuances ...
this program calls that program ... if SYS-NO & individual stuff yes, then it
ALL has to be identified that they need into ... in other areas I can say
MRP-NO MRP300 MRP-other yes & people run those jobs & they call other jobs &
they don't bomb.

You have to be reading the second level help text on this stuff, especially
the try & why did it fail ... and you have to be able to tell the difference
between a BPCS error message & an IBM error message ... in areas of security
violations they can look very similar.

I have found it productive to take 2 approaches to extending specific narrow
SYS authority to people who are considered to have technician
responsibilities.

Approach # 1 using 3 sessions me & the technican

1. I walk through the function we want to give the technician, with some
JOBLOG capturing, and step by step look at what is in the job stack, figuring
that all of that stuff is needed & adjust SYS600 accordingly

2. there is a session on SYS600 tweaking what the technician has access to

3. The technician sign-on is doing what I am doing in session -1 step by step
until it fails - study the messages, adjust security accordingly, back up and
try again

Other times, we have the technician try, capture the error message, I study
it, adjust security, ask the technician to try again.

We have found in some cases that we have to make the technician somewhat
higher than an ordinary *USER in IBM security, and there are some BPCS
functions that can only be accessed by making EVERYONE a Master Security
Officer & we decided that we did not want those functions since that was the
price.

Approach # 2 ... there is stuff that we get to via SYS short-cut, where we
want technician to be able to get to that stuff but not have 100% SYS access
implied by being able to use that short cut, and even though you can bypass
the short-cuts by knowing the names of the menus & other menu navigation
aids, there is sometimes the desire not to show a technician all this stuff
that is available but we are not letting you touch it, thus I have a BPCS
User Menu called FXS which means FIXES that all our technicians & power users
can get to ... it has copies of fix options copied from vanilla menus that
are filled with really dangerous stuff, that we don't want anyone trying to
fool with.

You might also check out the official SSA documentation on this topic that
comes with the BPCS system... ours are in DOC = SSARUN92 SSALOG00 and SECURITY

Al Macintyre
+---