  • Subject: Re: User trans track BPCS v4 - Security concerns
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 15:47:05 EDT

>  From Al Macintyre 405 CD with 4 facilities sharing one production
environment on AS/436 V4R3 at http://www.cen-elec.com

BPCS V4 security can be very effective provided someone is managing it who
knows how it works & has good communication through the company regarding who
all ought to be able to update what & who decides ... we have departments
that are serious about security access to THEIR stuff ... we have departments
that could care less about security - other issues are far more important.

We get a lot of new hires in which the request is "give this new person 100%
of the same access as that pre-existing user has" ... now did that new person
get comparable training?

I get a lot of requests in which I am told "this person needs access to that
BPCS program to do their job right ... please adjust their security"  Ok, I
have an arrangement with my boss ... I fulfil these requests, but I also
notify both my boss, and the person in charge of that application that there
has been an addition to their staff, just in case there is a problem with
this.  Sometimes there is an explosion & the access approval is reversed.
99% of the time my notification is met with not even a murmer.

I am the Chief Security Officer - only my boss & I are supposed to know the
Master IBM Security passwords - MANY more people knew this stuff when we had
consultants helping us, but I have been closing the doors they left open.
We have an arrangement wherebye business partners can dial into our AS/400 on
the ECS line, but I also have a hardware switch to disconnect that ability
unless they have called in advance of a session to clear it with us.

I have a few power users who help with BPCS security & adjusting what is on
what menus.  For 75% of our users, if they accidentally F3 out of BPCS to
OS/400 menu, IBM security kicks in with *SIGNOFF instead.

>  BPCS V4 security has some holes.

To this, we have added some holes of our own unique flavor.

The vast majority of our users have command line authority, which means that
under how BPCS group security functions, IBM security will let them do
ANYTHING to any record of any file of BPCS without leaving an audit trail.
Although I have noticed several incidents of a nature that undermines the
integrity of the BPCS data base, our corporate interest is more in the
productivity of the total work force than the risks from a security nature.

Reports are generated by individuals within departments in which other
individuals in the same departments need to access those reports.  This has
led to us giving spool file authority to 100% of our users.  Occasionally
someone deletes someone else's report by accident, but we see no problem with
this, so long as everyone understands THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A
CONFIDENTIAL REPORT & any time you transfer data that is protected by
security to a screen print or report form, the odds are that some other user
might look at it.

As MIS Manager, I am periodically deleting reports from spool that are like 2
weeks old, having consulted with the users involved ... do yuu need ORD500
audit trails kept for how long ... etc. & various people ask me to leave
stuff alone for a while, such as the CFO's reports from EOM sitting on one
spool queue ... now think about this for a moment - if there are any reports
that are seriously confidential, there they are all in one place, for any
user to look at.

>  We are a multi-faciilty company in which
>  some users are authorized to do a wide range of transactions at the
facility
>  at which they are based, and are authorized to LOOK at data in other
>  facilities but not update anything there.  We have not figured out how to
>  enforce that, but we can query on the user-id within inventory history ...
>  running a total only number of transactions by user by facility each month,
>  to catch any no-nos, after the fact.

>  From:    Lisa.Abney@universalflavors.com

>  Al ... We have a very similar setup ... 4.0.5 (nonCD), with 9 manufacturing
>  facilities across the country, all operating out of the same environment.
>  We use a warehouse name the same as the facility name for our "primary"
>  warehouse at each facility.
>  As we can set security at the warehouse level, and because
>  most "stuff" happens at the warehouse level, we think we are secure against
>  users at one facility changing data at another facility.

We have factories in 3 cities.  one of the factories is host to 2 facilities.
We use a consistent number system --- the first character of the facility &
all warehouses in that facility consistently "say" where it is --- the second
character is the type of warehouse --- raw materials, finished,
work-in-process, QC problem.

We are more concerned with human error than with risk of fraud.

We have several different kinds of users who are authorized to do
transactions into warehouses.

There are the people who work ONLY in their facility & have no involvement
with the other facilities ... no problems there, until their job function is
promoted & sometimes the training in their new responsibilities is a bit
weak, regarding the new risks of the new position.  If in fact all your
people are like this scenario, and you have not imitated the Central system
of digging lots of security holes, then you are probably fairly safe.

There are the people who are authorized to work with data in ALL facilities &
generally have had the training & experience to know what they are doing ...
occasionally I get a call from one of these people ... OOPS ... I was doing
transactions for this facility & by accident I was in that other facility &
was oblivious to the fact that I was in the wrong one ... in this case the
user normally has the experience to recognize that they made a mistake, knows
how to check the audit trails, knows how to back out the error entries & only
needs my help if it can';t be backed out because of some other activity that
interferes.

The big problem we have had is with people who are authorized to work with
data in THEIR facility & LOOK at data in other facilities, because we have
some common sub-components & we are a job-shop make-to-order with short lead
times.  So some customer wants something pulled up, and the factory involved
does not have enough raw materials ... do we authorize high expense rush
delivery what we need, or does another factory have some safety stock that
can be dipped into?

We have tried to address this with remembered keys stickiness.  The filters
default to that site's home facility --- key in some other facility, get the
info, then it reverts to the home facility --- need a lot of lookups & this
is a nuisance, so they adjust the remembered keys & forget to reset them,
then later forget they are in the wrong facility.

>  Your comments about the V4 security makes me wonder ...
>  where do you see the holes?

I have to be careful in describing problem areas so that I do not extend an
invitation to trouble makers to drive heavy fraud through companies who are
not seeing this or protecting against it.

Al Macintyre
Central Industries of Indiana Inc.
+---