  • Subject: Re: Y2K tools for BPCS 5.1
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 06:31:07 EDT

>  From:    MKLBOURDIN@wanadoo.fr (Michael BOURDIN)

Reply from Al Macintyre on AS/436 405 CD rel 1 mixed mode

>  Just few questions about some Y2K tools on BPCS V5.1
>  1) Are there any tools that convert the Date (-28 yrs) automatically in the
>  database ?

Yes - several BPCS 3rd party vendors & consultants offer such things
You might check out

Scruggs http://www.e-systemsinc.com
NexGen http://www.nexgeninfo.com/
UPI       http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/services.html

I notice your e-mail ends in "FR" ... is that France? ... If so, then you
might want to check out a BPCS site in "French" that might be more meaningful
to your co-workers

http://www.atlt.com/public/bpcs-utl00.html

There's probably others that do this that I have neglected to remember

My understanding of the process is as follows
1. Everything in your data base is really -28 years, so today internally is
Tuesday September 14, 1971 ... the BPCS software does not need to be touched
because it is not close to Y2K dates.
2. The interface with user screen & report adds 28 years back on so that what
the users see is the real date ... when they key in today's date, 28 years
gets subtracted before it goes to the data base ... so if you are using OTHER
SOFTWARE off of the external file layouts, it also needs to get the 28 year
adjustment

>  2) Is there some people who has already install them (and successfully test
>  them) ?

I believe hundreds of companies have already installed this solution &
successfully tested it & some of them are even on BPCS_L

>  3) How many time to setup ?

Well, if you believe the hype, and if you spend the big bucks to do it right,
and if you did not leave it to the last minute, it supposedly can be
implemented over a big weekend.

If you believe the horror stories & think they are typical, that is another
matter.

My understanding is that these vendors are very experienced with the stuff,
and your company can pay them to run your data through their tools & return
the data to you with the right dates internally, and they can also work with
your mods & the vanilla code to get the interface taken care of .... or you
can buy the conversion code, and struggle to learn how to use it right & hope
you get the conversion done yourself on the cheap, but in either case, there
will need to be serious testing.

>  Pls Answer me about this (because the Due Date of the Y2K is not
>  discutable!).
>
>  Regards.
>  Michael.

Hoping I have been helpful