  • Subject: Re: GLD510 v4003 AS/400 - welcome to Y2k unpreparedness
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:01:04 EDT

>From Al Macintyre

Peter - BPCS v4003 is NOT an official Y2K-compliant version supported by SSA,
but several consultants do offer Y2K fixes for versions other than those that
are official for SSA.  Have you in fact utilized the services of a Y2K
upgrade at your facility, or is your company one of those that thinks Y2K is
a marketing scam much like the anti-virus & electrical surge protector
hysteria tend to over-state the problem so as to sell fixes that prudent
computer users do not really need?  I do not believe that, but many do.

If your company thinks it is Y2K-compliant, then it might be helpful to
identify your Y2K-compliant service provider in this discussion & also talk
with them.

If your company has not in fact sought Y2K compliance, then that is the
source of your problem & it is only the tip of the iceberg.   However, since
you are only using Accounting applications, the cost of fixing might not be
Titanic.

Posting year of 00 or 01 is in fact lower than 98 or 99.  The non-compliant
Y2K software that you are using has an "end of computing universe" of the
year 99, something like the Mayan Calendar, when God periodically ends human
civilization & restarts it.

>  From:    haluska@biotika.sk (Peter Haluska)

>   We have one live enviroment, whitch will not continue after 1999, in v4.0.
> 03.
>  Accounting is used only.
>  Year end close 1998 was done, becouse 7th period in 1999 was unable to
>  open.
>  After this is unpossible to use GLD 510.(eg. Per:7,Fisk. year: 99)
>  MSG: Posting year must be equal to or greather than Fiscal year.
>  I tried chgjob date(ddmmyy) but without success.
>
>  Thanks
>  Peter

Change Job date is not going to help you, because internally to GLD it stores
a 2 digit fiscal year, which in the non-compliant Y2K world has a universe
that runs from 00 to 99 - the smallest number you can use is 00 & the largest
number is 99.  You cannot post any transactions from dates beyond Dec 31,
1999 because that is the end of your computing universe, until you convert to
a Y2K-complaint system.

Your company may have left it too late to deal with this in an inexpensive
elegant manner.

What is your fiscal year?
Is period 7 in year 2000?
Do you have year 2000 dates in your system?
Can you locate year 2000 dates, such as payables or receivables, and alter
the dates to 1999 dates (falsify the date), then see if they will post
without this error?
If so, then you will be able to run your company so long as you can refrain
from using dates outside 1999.
This will buy a little time to get caught up with the Y2K compliant reality
you should be in.

Al Macintyre
+---