  • Subject: Re: Reprinting Invoices
  • From: "Tim Armstrong" <tma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 21:07:57 -0500

e-mail from Al Macintyre at Tim's PC at work

From: Wayne Sheehan <wayne.sheehan@powerbar.com>

> We have a requirement to reprint many invoices
> and were wondering if anyone has
>  ever been able to reset print flags or reset transactions
> so the "Invoice Print" feature
>  could actually be used to reprint many invoices.

Quick & dirty approach is to use work station defaults in advance, or spool
file manipulation before printing.  We modified the CL to save the invoices
after printing, no matter what the user work station defaults were, as a
safety measure in case of combination of printer malfunction (e.g. forms jam
or twisted ribbon) & user recovery klutz. (or not even notice at printing
time that the invoices are no good).  It is a simple matter to cause a
particular run of invoices to print some number of times, like other reports
often need multiple copies, and via spool manipulation you can start & end
at a particular page, but mentally translating from invoice # of a
continuous run to which page # you want more copies of, could get to be a
nuisance.

ORD600 has the capability of accessing billing invoice history to make
corrections to shipping documents after they have been billed.  I have not
fully explored the implications of this, but let's suppose that a trivial
alteration to a shipping document causes BB* file to contain instructions to
reprint the corrected invoice, except we would pick some innoculus field to
adjust that does not show up on the invoice.  Or perhaps there is a field
that we do want to print on the invoice, which reads something like "reprint
# ----" which we update every time we revisit ORD600.

You might check system parameters on retention of billing history SI* &
shipping documents ES*.  Our data is still around days after invoicing.  The
scenario that I can think of for needing to reprint many invoices is when a
customer neglects to pay on a timely basis, then explains that they never
received the original invoicing & have no record of receiving the
merchandise, so we supply them with a copy of the invoice & a copy of the
receipt signed by someone at their company.  Then when we follow up, once
again they claim to not have received the earlier copies, or have lost track
of the transaction in which someone at their company authorized a change to
their official purchase order, and they cannot pay invoices that disagree
with the PO - they are waiting for us to make a correction.  There are many
variations on this concept of needing to be able to supply a customer with
proof of past transactions with them.

Hope I have been of some help.