  • Subject: Warning-BPCS 405 CD data files with bad creation dates
  • From: Dave Murvin <davem@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 20:25:05 -0700

I have just been through a conversion from BPCS 4.04 to 4.05 CD and have
found some application errors that were caused by bad file creation
dates.

The problem is that about 600 files and members have a creation date of
03/12/2004!   We discovered this problem when billing stopped posting to
the G/L.  It worked fine for three days after the live conversions, then
stopped working.  During the first three days, the only member in the
GJW file was the GJW member (created 03/12/2004).  On the fourth day,
one of the BPCS programs created a new workstation member in the GJW
file.  Guess where your new billing  records are written when the files
default to the *First member (hint-it's not in the GJW member that was
created 03/12/2004).  The G/L posting programs look at the GJWL* members
which are built over the GJW member

I have recreated the physical and logical files for the files that look
like they are likely to contain multiple members so that the main member
is the member that is created first, has a current date and contains all
the correct data.  By creating dupe objects back and fourth, at least I
didn't have to recompile all the programs to prevent a level check.
There are still lots of files (like IIM) that I don't believe use
multiple members that still have creation dates of 03/12/2004.  I guess
we can clean them up as we get a chance or we can just wait a few
years.  :-)  Anyone know if there is a way to change the date created in
physical and logical files without recreating the file?  I looked
through the APIs but didn't find anything and don't have much hope for a
solution other than recreate the files.

I know we followed directions, such as they were, on the installation,
and the we tested and the users tested.  We did not set the machine date
forward on the system because it causes problems like this.  Guess we
could have tested some more, but when you receive the updated
application files from the vendor one would suppose that they could be
used as is.  Just convert your data.  Guess I should have looked closer
when I found that the 405 CD CDM module files we received still had
SSA's test data in them and they don't supply a program to clean out the
files.

Way to go SSA!

Dave Murvin
DRM Enterprises, Inc.