While many folks on BPCS_L have heartache of jobs taking hours that you think
logically should take minutes, one of my heartaches is 80% disk space
consumption, and periodic seek what we have on-line that we really do not
need.

Perhaps this is a midrange_L question.

Many of our BPCS 405 CD files are well-endowed with an abundance of empty
members that we do not need or use.  This has got to be wasting some disk
space.

ECH has 22 members
5 are for work stations that no longer exist
4 are for work stations that almost never need relevant access
3 were inherited from SSA & never used
4 date back to over a year ago when we were on pass thru before moving from
QPDAV### work station naming to departmental acronyms

FSO has 74 members
1 is FSO itself & is the only one with permanent data
1 was inherited from SSA & never used
37 are QPDAV### combinations unused in over a year
23 are valid work stations with no access here in 6 months or more
4 are valid work stations whose last access was 1-4 months ago
7 = valid work stations with last access this month

This scenario is systemic across BPCS files.

Since it appears that BPCS creates new members as needed for new work
stations, I think we need some clean-out code that goes thru files in
designated library & any time it finds an empty member, named after a
non-existant work station, or that hasn't been used since some cut-off date,
get rid of it.

Am I making sense?  Does any such software already exist, or simple to
implement?

I know about BPCS LITE from UPI
I am basically exploring disk space wastage suspects vs. which might be as
easy to fix as the millions of deleted records scenario.

Al
+---