  • Subject: Re: Performance ans Access Plans
  • From: Ata510@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 22:40:56 EDT

In a message dated 7/21/99 6:06:00 AM Central Daylight Time,
FRANCISCO.ZABALETA@roche.com writes:

> Hello,
>
>  does anyone experimented already the lock problem while updating the acces
> plan
>  (SQL Package)?
>  We are AS/400 6.0.04 MM, and we want to split the object libraries for each
>  production enviroment (8 in Europe).
>  This was an SSA recommendation, but after some tests we've seen that the
> access
>  plan can not be always updated because the optimizer needs an exclusive
> acces to
>  the object to rewrite the access plan.
Every time I have seen this, the cause is that more than 1 user is in the
same program at the same time. The best and really the only solution is to
run the program once when you can be sure no one else is using it, so this
can be updated. Once it is updated, the message will disappear -- unless
large changes in data/new access paths make the optimizer reconsider this
again at a future point in time.

But despite the ominous sound of the message, even if the plan is not being
updated per the info message, the optimizer is still choosing and using the
best access path to the data. It just can't get a lock to record that fact
inside the Access Plan to use for the next program run. So maybe you are
slowing down the decision tree for the optimizer a few hundred milliseconds
or so. Generally this is not giving a major performance impact, unless you
see this over and over in the same joblog.

Likely culprits are users who do things like keep up a display program screen
for entering invoices, orders, reciepts or what have you, all day long and
don't ever shut it down until the end of the day. You'll have to arrange to
either have them sign off during a specified period of time (like lunch) and
have 1 person run the program, or otherwise arrange it so you are sure no one
else is in the program. If you know which program it is, do a WRKOBJLCK to
check who has locks on it.

+---