We tested BPCS 4.0.05 CD on V3R7M0 running on an AS/436 at the same time as
non-Y2K compliant code was running on the same box.  We used CHGJOB to get
Y2K dates for the jobs doing the Y2K testing, so as not to sabotage the
production environment.  Since then we have moved to V4R3M0 because at the
time of Y2K roll-over, V3R7M0 will no longer be under IBM maintenance, and we
are still running some old code in the Machine/36 area.

Our biggest problems were:
we were coming from S/36 & followed IBM suggestions on setup, starting with
security level 40 but 405 CD has to be 30 or less --- we are now running Ok
on 30 but went thru a heck of a mess to get there;
SSA conversion tools were filled with bugs & hurry up & wait then key
something in - we went to non-SSA tools & a mother of all CL conversion of
everything linking all the pieces;
training unfamiliarity combined with SSA bugs - we could not have coped had
we not had excellent consultants helping us;

Several suggestions:

1. Take a serious look at the issue of whether you want to be on a version of
OS/400 that is not under IBM support at the time of Y2K roll-over.

2. Ask your hardware provider about the practicality of renting time at their
site.  Our hardware provider has copies of a lot of older machines to assist
customers in various conversion efforts.  This might be more economical than
temporarily leasing another box into your site, although you"ll need careful
advance planning to use the off-site time efficiently.

3. Visit the Midrange dot com archives & search for discussion of performance
vs. box size.  There are serious issues regarding the correct box size for
the particular version of BPCS, most recently mentioned in the thread on
"Green Screen vs. GUI.", but this type of topic frequently erupts.  If the
box is too small, you won't be able to run stuff, let alone test stuff.

http://www.midrange.com/site-search.htm = search engine vs. threads & topics
http://www.midrange.com/bpcs-l-archive = BPCS past threads

4. There are also relevant threads on this kind of topic at the AS/400 forums
http://www.midrangecomputing.com/scripts/webboard.dll/mainmenu
http://news400.com/Forums/Index.cfm?cfapp=52

Al Macintyre
Central Industries, Evansville Indiana

>  Hi guys,
>
>  I'm in the process of testing BPCS 6.0.0.2 and V3R7M0 running on a
>  9404-510 box.
> My intention is to get a second box to mirror my current
>  box configuration but to no avail.
>  The question is, will it be a sufficient testing and
>  a comparable environment to LOAD BPCS 6.0.0.2
>  and OS V3R7M0 on a 9401-150
>  to mirror my current environment, BPCS 6.0.0.2,
>  V3R7M0 on a 9404-510?
>
>  What are my short comings, if any?
>
>  Oludare
>  Pulsecom