Lisa,

The thing I believe your consultants were trying to communicate (which they
didn't do a good job of obviously) is that you don't want to close a shop order
until ALL activity on it has ended.  If your company is like mine, occassionally
you find out transactions were in error or missing after the S/O was closed and
you would really like to correct them.

We have set up a job to reopen closed shop orders for this purpose, only certain
users are allowed to do it and no one gets to do it if the S/O was closed in a
prior period.

Regarding the statement about how long it will take to close these orders, it
may be a little misleading.  You see, unless you have made the mod's to SFC900,
it reads through every S/O whether it was previously closed or not.

Bill

> Lisa Abney wrote:
>
> We're on version 4.0.5, and would sure appreciate some help with the shop
> order close process.  We went up on BPCS in March '95, and were told at that
> time by our consultants not to run Shop Order Close (CST900, as we have
> costing installed), as we wouldn't be able to make adjustments to shop
> orders.  Now, I'm sure they meant that to be a temporary thing, as we went
> through the initial learning process, but 4 1/2 years later, we still
> haven't done it!
>
> The biggest reason we need to do it, we've discovered, is that we would like
> to do some clean-up in our item master, but you can't inactivate an item
> master that has a shop order.
>
> I called the SSA help desk on this, and they warned me this may take in the
> neighborhood of days (or weeks?!) to run the first time, as we have 220,000
> records in the FSO file.  (He said most people run this process at least
> weekly ... whoops!)
>
> I've played around with this in a test envionment, and it's going to be a
> real pain, I can tell.  We also have performance measurement installed
> (although we've never used), which apparently means I have to close each
> period for each facility individually before I can even do CST900.
>
> Does anyone have an easy solution?  All I really care about is cleaning up
> my FSO (and, I suppose, the FMA) so that I will be able to inactivate some
> item numbers ... I don't care about performance measurement, the costing
> stuff, etc.
>
> Any suggestions would be welcome!
+---