  • Subject: Re: Y2K Testing - Budget infinite time for more testing
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 15:01:45 EDT

I do not have a question in here, just some observations

At Central Industries there is a common viewpoint which I think is flawed:
Fix the software & data so that it is Y2K compliant, test test test, find all
the problems, fix them, test verify satisfactory, and now we are done.  Aside
from issues of hardware & supply chain, bad Y2K data can creep back into a
Y2K compliant system thanks to a spectrum of users doing different actions
without realizing all implications, and modifications & 3rd party software
added to our collection.

BPCS Date Data is stored as numeric, not as OS/400 dates, which we are
reminded of when trying to do date math in query.  This means that bad dates
could be entered into our records via a variety of human error & new software
bugs, after the whole thing was "certified" as Y2K compliant, so periodic
inspections need to be a continuous process, like cycle counting, and
financial reconciliation.  Even if our BPCS version has been tested to
confirm it won't let user key invalid date in some place, we have people
fixing things via DFU & other tools.  Mistakes are more often made when
fixing other mistakes, than any other circumstance.

Al Macintyre
+---