  • Subject: Re: BPCS documentation
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Apr 1999 00:46:46 EST

Dennis - I have a number of suggestions, based on the fact that we do use
that documentation & are not satisfied with it.

Summary

Ask your security officer to help you access DOC software - check out WRKOBJ
DOC* in your BPCS execution library, so you know what you might be missing if
your security is denying you access.  Our security is deliberately more of a
joke in our education environment, because one of the things we are teaching
is why we need good security.

Tell your SSA customer representative about the BPCS Files Poster that I
describe & ask if you can have one of them, then insist that it go in your
company where easily accessible by end users who NEED that information,
instead of being a pretty picture in a top manager office.

Check out alternative BPCS documentation sources I mention at the end of this
e-mail posting.

Ask OGS to confirm what I understood them to tell me & the practicality of
getting at the PC format that drives what arrives in BPCSDOC.

Get the HELP for SEU & teach your end users how to access its keyword search
capability, in addition to encouraging use of helpful keys in general.

Tell end users that you can print out the help text for any program they
wish, without anyone having to actually run the program.

Detail Al-o-gram

To access the "print engine" that BPCSDOC is designed for, you have to have
an SSA security officer on your deconstructing team.  When first installed,
BPCSDOC seems to be invisible to the software - you have to run the document
index reorg to make the data magically appear.

The formatting codes worked on BPCS/36 in concert with system rules for sizes
of forms, but DOC, at least at the V4 level, does not obey either its own
formatting codes, or the SYS013 user settings for favorite printer, on-hold,
etc.  We do not use separator pages, we have different printers in different
facilities & departments, we use non-standard sized green bar paper, and
while BPCS has a system so end users can select where they want their output
to go, onto what kind of form, DOC is one of several areas of SSA exception
to their own rules - SFC730 is another we just found.

If you think I am long winded, you have not read any of these documents.

However you print them, be prepared for in excess of 100 pages per
application, although not all of the approx 75 documents are that long, in
which there is a truely massive volume of either totally blank or half blank
pages, and some documents are too large to view in SEU.  When I asked SSA
Help line about some of this stuph, I learned that they now write these
documents on a PC and transport them to AS/400 objects, and something is lost
in translation, so a trick question is whether the original PC versions are
accessible to BPCS customers who only want a PC version, and what PC software
was involved, in case the same kind would be helpful to end user.

Most of my users forget what the HELP key is for until we are walking them
through the solution to a problem & they never get into the habit of using
F1.  Such individuals are not going to get any benefit out of hundreds of
pages not only poorly cross-indexed, the purpose of some of the formatting
codes is to capture sub-title heading lines to generate an index to contents
similar to Table of Contents in Word.

At best, the BPCS documentation should be used as a reference tool on a
department by department basis. We use it when researching how BPCS intended
some codes to be used & what the significance are of fields & terminology we
stumble over.  It is not practical for helping end-users - the HELP key is
1,000 times more helpful & who uses that?

Suppose someone wants to create a query over some BPCS files - the official
documentation does not get into sufficient structural detail to be of much
help - IBM external file definition reports are needed, along with an
understanding of the application file structure & where do you get that
understanding - check out the SSA Poster used when implementing BPCS - it
charts what files are dependent on what other files & how they are
inter-related.  We used to have two of them & I think we now have managed to
misplace both.  The posters became manager perks, lost when ready for some
other wall decoration, not easily accessible months later by end users for
which there is an on-going serious need.

If you are not familiar with the SSA Poster, it is a wall sized color coded
chart of files by application, showing the flow of data by application, with
well thought out icons indicating nature of files inter-relationships.  For
example, when labor is reported via SFC600 or JIT600 - which files get the
scrap history, and cost updates --- when we find weird costs - show us a list
of the suspects --- what is the flow of data through shipping files, to help
us add some reports.

During our Y2k conversion, we used colored markers to indicate like a pert
diagram, which of these files had a problem waiting on some modification or
BMR or conversion issue to be resolved, which were being re-keyed because we
were changing codes, and which were being translated by which collection of
software.

For the BPCSDOC documents to have value, the user has to have access to SEU &
know how to use search capability to FIND where the text is that is relevant
to what they need, then just LP (think DOS inside AS/400 text editor) the few
pages on that topic, and also know which of the documents explain what those
codes on the screen mean, how to get to what you want to do navigating
through the tree of options, how the files are interrelated etc.  If you are
in the wrong document for the info that you want, there is no pointer telling
you which one explains MIS under the covers, what those funny codes mean, or
what to do when something is messed up.

For those users who do check out HELP - some of them are interested in what
some program DOES without actually executing them & for those individuals I
sometimes print out the SOURCE code for help screens of the programs of their
choice, from QPNLSRC (UIM Panels).

Check out the alternative BPCS documentation offered by
http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/bpcsconsulting.html
which includes both V4 and V6 - pricing on individual application areas
varies from $60.00 to $275.00 & comes with a guarantee that you will get
benefit out of this or your money back.  Several key areas that we need
better documentation for does not appear to be listed on their web page.

and
David Slicker
DS Solutions
(414) 251-6010 - phone
(414) 251-6011 - fax
dslic@aol.com

for V6.0.02 and V6.0.04 - he offers a more comprehensive perspective for a
larger sticker price, but I would suggest that the costs of these manuals are
peanuts compared to the hassles of trying to pretty print SSA documentation
whose value is questionable for any but the most gung ho MIS person.

and the 3rd alternative offered by George in another posting

Al Macintyre
+---