  • Subject: Re: Illogical Mess
  • From: Boris Goldenberg <bpcsguru@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:00:29 -0800 (PST)

My, you ask a lot of questions.  Let me try to answer at least some of
them:

---MacWheel99@aol.com wrote:

> Logical vs. Physical - does *LIBL & security "magically" control which
> physical a logical is looking at, so that if a logical which is in
the user's
> library list is crossed, pointing at a physical that is not in the
user's
> library list, then the user will effectively not see any data?

I believe the user will still see data, provided that he is authorized
to the physical file.

> I think I had better do some dump of *FILE statistics in the major
BPCS file
> libraries then a query to tell me if any logicals there are pointing
at any
> physical in a different library & if any physicals there are having
logicals
> pointing at them from a different library - which OS/400 command
would be the
> appropriate DSP to do this safety check?

DSPFD to an *OUTFILE should do it.

> Compile Question vs. Environments - If I happen to be in one
environment when
> I compile a program, using standard BPCS commands like RPG & CRTCLP,
should
> everything refer to *LIBL & *JOBD in such a way that if that program
is
> subsequently executed in a different environment than the one I was
in when I
> compiled it, it should not be pointing at any objects unique to the
compile
> environment?
>
> I had been assuming that compilation & execution were *LIBL
independent?

The only time this will become an issue is if you have differing files
in different environments.  For example if you have BPCS 405 in one
environment and BPCS 604 in another environment, then file layouts
will be different.  If you compile the program over one environment
and try to run over another, you will get level checks.

> Compile Question vs. Methods - If a BPCS program was compiled from IBM
> defaults, such as 14 from WRKMBRPDM, instead of BPCS defaults, is
there
> something easy to check that will tell us what if anything is wrong?
 e.g.
> WRKOBJ - specific attribute - aha ... this needs to be recompiled
thru BPCS.

> I am suspecting that some of our contract programmers might not have
been
> using the BPCS compilers.  One of the consultants told me that we
only need to
> use the BPCS compilers for BPCS modifications, not Queries.  Also,
there does
> not appear to be a BPCS compiler for RPG that has SQL inside.

The BPCS compile commands perform a lot of overrides as well as other
functions. If the program contains SQL statements, then the RPG
command uses CRTSQLRPG instead of CRTRPGPGM. If you try to use option
14 from PDM, sometimes you will not be able to compile for that
reason. But if it DOES compile, the object should be OK.  In general,
if the program is using BPCS files, compile it through the RPG command
to avoid unnecessary headaches.

Regards,

Boris Goldenberg