Some more dumb questions from Al Macintyre at Central Industries where we have
BPCS 405 CD on AS/436 just upgraded to V4R3, with no TAATOOLS, ROBOT, etc.

Logical vs. Physical - does *LIBL & security "magically" control which
physical a logical is looking at, so that if a logical which is in the user's
library list is crossed, pointing at a physical that is not in the user's
library list, then the user will effectively not see any data?

I think I had better do some dump of *FILE statistics in the major BPCS file
libraries then a query to tell me if any logicals there are pointing at any
physical in a different library & if any physicals there are having logicals
pointing at them from a different library - which OS/400 command would be the
appropriate DSP to do this safety check?

Compile Question vs. Environments - If I happen to be in one environment when
I compile a program, using standard BPCS commands like RPG & CRTCLP, should
everything refer to *LIBL & *JOBD in such a way that if that program is
subsequently executed in a different environment than the one I was in when I
compiled it, it should not be pointing at any objects unique to the compile
environment?

I had been assuming that compilation & execution were *LIBL independent.

Compile Question vs. Methods - If a BPCS program was compiled from IBM
defaults, such as 14 from WRKMBRPDM, instead of BPCS defaults, is there
something easy to check that will tell us what if anything is wrong?  e.g.
WRKOBJ - specific attribute - aha ... this needs to be recompiled thru BPCS.

I am suspecting that some of our contract programmers might not have been
using the BPCS compilers.  One of the consultants told me that we only need to
use the BPCS compilers for BPCS modifications, not Queries.  Also, there does
not appear to be a BPCS compiler for RPG that has SQL inside.

OS/400 question = If DSPPGMREF is run for one library for programs pointing at
objects in other libraries not in its library list, but for which the user is
authorized to access, and in which those object names exist in multiple
libraries, how does DSPPGMREF determine how to identify linkages?

I was in BPCS & F3 to OS/400 without the BPCS test or live environment lists,
but due to SSA user group security I was authorized to look at stuff in both
environments.  Then I ran DSPPGMREF on one of the libraries & it seemed to
helter skelter point at both test & live environment objects --- I was
wondering if that was an artifact of DSPPGMREF rather than what the picture
appeared to paint.

When we get a BMR which adds a logical, how should it be installed?  I had
been copying the logical object to target library, before any IBM schooling,
but now think what I ought to do is recompile the source into the target
library, if the source came with the BMR, retroactively for all BMRs, just in
case.  After we test some modification in our development library, I recompile
the source into the modification library - I do not copy objects, like PRTF.

Our library lists are setup identical except for objects unique to the
environment:

Our Modifications - shared by environment, software should always use *LIBL,
never library-specific
User-Files unique to environment
User-Objects unique to environment
Work-Around library = copies of objects that worked before PTF-1 broke them
Various BBRs - checked against Work-Around contents during testing
PTF-1 library - shared by environment
Files unique to environment
Objects unique to environment
Our Queries
Various Q-stuff scattered around

Although 99% of the stuff in the vanilla objects library is common *LIBL there
are a tiny fraction that are unique to environment that some time I want to
split out so we can cut down on duplication of disk space consumption. My
understanding has been that software SHOULD get from JOBD or some data
structure the *LIBL specifics, so that it accesses the correct environment
files corresponding to the user library list.

Safety rules I want to work towards:
All logicals should be in the same file as their physical - we might have dual
source QxxxSRC if from SSA & QxxxMOD if internal modification;
When there are artifacts that cannot use *LIBL, such as Query & Job Scheduler,
then we need to structure stuff so that objects desired for one environment or
the other are in libraries unique to each environment.

However, I now have a bad case of nerves after having run DSPPGMREF looking
for one thing & finding some other stuff I did not expect.  What I was looking
for is which programs updated a file where I had found where some non-Y2K
compliant data had been re-introduced into our Y2K-compliant achievements.  I
suspect some careless modification, or a hole in our Y2K-testing.

I ran DSPPGMREF for *ALL programs *ALL types in a particular library.  To my
great dismay, I found multiple cases of where a program apparently referenced.

Y = correct - they all should be that way
1 = problem I need to fix, after I figure out what is causing it
2 = problem to deal with after 1 is behind me

Y = another program in *LIBL
Y = data area via *LIBL
1 = a logical in the test environment
1 = a logical in the live environment
1 = DSPF in the unfinished development library
2 = a print file in a specific environment
2 = a print file in which the library field is blank

I did not see ANY logicals pointing at *LIBL

Al
+---