I second that emotion, on both counts ;-)!  The technical team was _GREAT_,
but it was overall project management above your level (_ESPECIALLY_ after
they moved you somewhere else before construction was complete) that had us
singing "SOMMM WARRRRE, over the rainbow".  (Well, the consultants and
contractors anyway!)

Ah yes, the days of yore, when Franch sat upon his ivory throne and the
Unti-christ terrorized the cubicles.  Falling behind?  Mark some blue dots!
Missing deadlines?  Have a parade!  What a team... Scheuman and Ford and
Faichney and Shaw and McVey and ... gz, the list goes on.  All besmirched by the
foul stench of the SOM massacre <sigh>.

Well, I shouldn't be so bitter.  They all got real jobs (Doxtator finally left
just recently).  I learned alot, and survived.  Barely.  That damned project
almost killed me (well, the alcohol almost killed me, but the project made the
alcohol WAY more inviting [wry grin]).  It's taken me until just last year
before I was finally able to shake the hold that those years had on me.  But, in
the immortal words of John Astin (on Night Court), "I'm MUCH better now!"

What really gets me is that even though they killed my work, they didn't have
the DECENCY to bury it.  CPR still lives, as does ODO!  In fact, if you count my
work on Cutter and the CL emulation I designed for the UNIX box, over half (way
over, methinks) of the "new" technology in BPCS is my design.  But that's OK,
because now I'm applying everything I've learned to Java, and it's getting VERY
cool in BeanLand.

If you get a chance, check out www.zappie.net, which is my site.  I've got a
section already on step-by-step instructions to download and install Java/400 on
your PC (if you haven't already).  That includes the JDK and the Java Toolbox
for the AS/400.  I'm building tutorials, both for Java basics and for Java/400.
I'm putting the arm on some of my colleagues to start contributing free Java
code (I'll be putting in some, too) so that we can make the site THE place to go
to teach old RPG programmers new Java tricks ... for free!  I'd call it Joe's
RPG Rehab, but I'm afraid not everyone would see the humor <grin>.  And I'll
have some kick-butt client/server stuff on there (I've got two articles coming
out in the May Midrange Computing which detail how to break apart a monolithic
master file maintenance program and turn it into client/server, with both an
AS/400 RPG client and a PC Java client).

Anyway, enough babbling.  Tell all your friends about Joe's RPG Rehab (er....
Zappie!), and feel free to drop a line anytime, Dean.

"Way up HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH"!

Joe

+---