  • Subject: RE: Managing Duplicate Software
  • From: Lacelle Marc <LACELLE@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 09:55:06 -0500

I'll put in my two cents. This is how we operate

BPCSOUF BPCS User Files
BPCSOMF BPCS Manufacturing Data Files
BPCSRCM BPCS Our Custom Changes
BPCSSSA BPCS SSA Custom Changes
BPCSPTF BPCS Cumulative PTF - 0398
BPCSO           BPCS Base Objects

This is how our library list is set in our INLIBL DTAARA.

BPCSOUF is for all of our custom data files and logicals.
BPCSOUF also contains any logical built from an SSA physical file. If a
logical is built from an SSA physical we use numbers over 50. (IIML50)
Please note: Create your logical in your data file library(BPCSOMF)
then copy it to your user file library (BPCSOUF). It will keep it
physical dependency to the physical file in your data file library
(BPCSOMF)

BPCSOMF is our library containing SSA data files, dtaara, outq, message
files, ect.

BPCSRCM is our library where we keep our in-house developed objects.

BPCSSSA is our library where SSA has made custom changes for us to
existing objects in either BPCSPTF or BPCSO. $$$$$$

BPCSPTF is the cumulative change library from SSA.

BPCSO is the base object library from SSA

Doing this way we now who owns what and what has to be looked at when a
new PTF is applied.

It is also very easy when going to a higher version. You know who owns
what.

        Marco
Royal Canadian Mint

> from Al Macintyre
>
> Is there a straightforward *OUTFILE to Query which could inventory
> duplications and/or what add-on tools are worthwhile seeking that aid
> disk
> management MIS responsibilities which must be common to most every
> BPCS
> installation?
>
> My scenario =
>
> SSA provides original, then fixes ... sometimes several BMR, PTF which
> we put
> earlier in library list
> We sometimes copy source to test library, which eventually finds its
> way to
> implemented modification.
> I also sometimes have backup version of what modification looked like
> before
> pile on more mods.
> When there is uncertainty that a change will work right, we need the
> backout
> version, but once everything is working fine I tend to forget about
> that
> mountain of multiple redundant no longer used old copies that have an
> impact
> on disk space.
>
> One approach might be a query report:
> List duplicates with same naming - source & execution objects in
> multiple
> libraries - include last used, changed, saved, type, size, to catch
> irregularities, substring according to naming conventions
>
> But this challenge cannot be unique to us - there may be better
> solutions out
> there.
>
> Al Macintyre
> BPCS 405 CD = approx 25-30 users