  • Subject: Re: BPCS Performance Problems
  • From: "Tom McKeel " <tmckeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 19:49:31 -0500

I will have to agree with Michael on his accessment.  Our shop was running
BPCS 6.02
mixed mode on an 510-2143 and performance was terrible.  We worked with our
IBM/
SSA hardware partner and filled out the SSA sizing survey.  The result was a
suggestion
of an S20-2178 or a 640.  Either was configured with 4GB of memory 54GB DASD
(based on our current usage and growth) and the appropriate tape backup
unit.

We installed the new AS/400 in December and performance has been
outstanding.  MRP/
MPS planning reports which ran for 4-4.5 hours now run in 17 minutes.
Inventory Valuation
reports which ran for 2-3 hours now run in 5-7 minutes.  Our users have been
very pleased
with the performance.

The cost of the S20-2178 vs the 640 model was about 100-150k less and had
better performance.
The CPW of the 510-2143 was 77.7 (interactive and batch) and the S20-2178 is
221 interactive
and 759 batch.

BTW we have about 100-120 users.