  • Subject: Re: BPCS Performance Problems
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 15:28:01 EST

> The 2177 performed great when we were running 4.0.05
> (our old version of BPCS).  We went live with 6.0.04 mixed mode
> in November of 1998.  The performance has been poor.

Al question about the sizing reccommendation process, when going from pure
green screen environment (we arrived August 1998 on 4.0.05 with some 5250
emulation but mainly green screens) to real client/server.

Does it also include reccommendations for PC power & PC resource left over
from anything else on a given PC?  The classic scenario I have seen in the
past, which gets better with management exposure over time to its down-sides,
is that some employee is issued a PC that has the resource to do the job then
required, but

Disk Space consumption on the PC expands to fill the space available & the
user really needs a powerful file management & archiving & analysis tool to
figure out what to keep on-line & what to get rid of, but does not get one
PC software versions get upgraded & need more powerful PC hardware just to
stay equally productive with the same work level & don't get it
PC work load gets increased with new applications needing more powerful PC
resources to support the higher load & don't get it
Corporate mix of who has what version of what tools is somewhat random & we
are probably paying licenses for software on PCs that their users have no use
for
eventually employee has to rely on work-arounds, like frequent re-boots during
work day

When Y"all move from V6 to V6-beyond, do the upgrades come with any kind of
reccommendations for other resources beyond the core AS/400 box?  Some of this
may be MIDRANGE-L topic.

We have occasionally looked at alternatives to daisy chaining our twinax, for
a number of reasons.  I think that some infrastructure issues become more
critical when you are making this kind of change.

We have communications lines to remote sites, so speed, load, and capacity of
line has been an issue for us in the past & may be again in the future.  Often
times performance tools can be misleading or difficult to interpret when there
is an interplay of many factors.  There are many different configurations that
work equally well from a technical perspective, but the pricing & ma bell
quality is as different as night & day.

I wish we were using capacity planning at Central, because then the concepts
of resources vs. load on resources might be better understood across total
management & rapidly self-evident that this also applies to computer
technology.

Al
+---