  • Subject: Re: ASSET Y2K Dating
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 15:24:45 EST

Wawrzaszek,

In a message dated 2/12/99 10:41:59 AM Eastern Standard Time,
wawrzaszek@austeel.com writes:

> What does V6.0.04 do?  We are currently at a stand still as far as asset
>  goes.  All our code has been century dated, but the asset code was changed
>  in the RPG version NOT asset.  Therefore all our data models, repositories
>  etc. are all still referring to a 6,0 field on the files where the actual
>  file is not 8,0.   We are not going to make any changes to ASSET programs
>  because of this.  We do not have the time to totally redo all the Asset
>  programs, data models etc.  We are taking the gamble because we are going
>  go to version 6.0 of BPCS after the year 2000.  I know there is another
>  package out there that will automatically update all asset code,  but it is
>  not worth it if we are upgrading to 6.0.    If we absolutely had to change
>  an ASSEt program we could always change the RPG code and compile it with
>  BPCS RPG command as long as all overrides exist in SSAOVR (or so I have
been
>  told).   So bottom line this version of ASSET (V6.0.04) will not matter to
>  us until we are on BPCS 6.0 - Correct?

In your instance, you shouldn't need 6.0.04.  Then again, your instance
shouldn't exist, IMHO.  You should never, never, never, never, never, never,
never, never change RPG or DDS outside of AS/Set if you plan to upgrade at a
later date.  Shame on all the consultants that recommend such...

JMHO,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"Champions keep playing until they get it right." -- Billie Jean King
+---