  • Subject: Re: Y2K Blowup - ADK
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:28:55 EST

Wawrzasek,

In a message dated 1/19/99 11:31:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,
wawrzaszek@austeel.com writes:

> We converted our BPCS 4.04 to Y2k with a product called nexgen. However ADK
>  programs were changed via the rpg source not through ADK, so if we need to
>  change them again we would have to do the same, of convert all of our ADK
>  century date.  This is a whole war of its own as the repositories, data
>  models etc. would all need to go over the 8,0 files now.  Is there an
"easy"
>  way to get your existing code of ADK to now look at the correct field
>  lengths?  I realize mods will still need to take place within the programs
>  themselves.

There's no "easy" way that I know of.  Over the years I've built a pretty
comprehensive list of the ADK files in ASSETF and their contents, but by the
time you could write a program to fix it you could have done this manually
(oversimplified, but you should get the idea):

1.  Create a new repository to contain the new file definitions by copying
your current one to a new name under system security.  (I don't remember off
the top of my head, but you may have to perform copy set-to-set with *ALL
under data models, files, and fields to get the existing definitions across).
2.  Create a new application set referencing the new repository, and copy all
programs to be changed to it.  Don't forget to point it at new libraries for
compilation.
3.  Identify files that have changed and edit their data models.  Delete all
files under a given data model and use the "auto load" function to bring in
the new definitions.  Reestablish all links between the physical and logicals,
then use <F16> to place a "Y" in the "unique" value for all files so that you
don't get the "X" files generated in your RPG.
4.  Identify the NexGen changes and integrate them, where necessary, into the
ADK code in your new application set that references the new repository.
Regenerate the code.
5.  Watch for user variables, especially in DSPF and PRTF objects, that don't
reference files in the repository -- correct them.
6.  Test, test, test.

HTH,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"Experience is the name everyone gives his mistakes." -- Elbert Hubbard
+---