  • Subject: Re: Print Override In SYS501C
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 14:06:14 EST

Dave,

davet@radiusinfo.com writes:

> I'm supporting a recent V6.04 mixed-mode BPCS implementation, and my
>  question is this: what are the implications of removing the *PRTF
>  override command in CL program SYS501C?  It is currently wreaking havoc
>  with a variety of in-house programs and queries that have been added to
>  BPCS menus and which use a varied mix of page size parameters.  Users
>  don't understand why reports that fit on the page with condensed print
>  last week have suddenly expanded to 10CPI and go off into oblivion.
<<snip>>

I've never found it necessary to modify SYS501C, because through training and
elimination of the user's choice from custom reports, all print jobs go to
batch.  SYS003B (actually a CL program) and SYSOVRC are another matter,
however.  After modifying SYS003B and SYSOVRC to not reset the LDA from SSASYS
and the work station data area, I usually recommend modifying custom report
parameter screen programs as follows:

1.  Remove the batch/interactive option.
2.  Define the LDA in the program using external file ZLDA.
3.  Retrieve the LDA (GETDTAARA) and save printer options to be changed into
work fields.
4.  Change the ZLDA fields according to your custom report's requirements.
5.  Update the LDA with the new values.
6.  Submit the report.
7.  Restore the ZLDA fields to their original values from the work fields and
update the LDA again (so that all future reports run from the job won't use
the custom report's parameters).

This works well for us.  I just wish that SSA would provide this functionality
up front, instead of sticking with an architecture that dates to the days when
there only _was_ one printer that wouldn't print more than 132 columns...

HTH,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"Repartee is what you wish you'd said." -- Heywood Broun
+---