  • Subject: BPCS Performance Tips -- Was: Update from WABUG (Western Area BPCS User Group) Meeting
  • From: Bill Robins <brobins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 12:35:44 +0100

Jesus,

Thank you for the offer.  Let me refine what I asked for in the original post
asking
for everyone to share their performance tips.  This mail list is worldwide in
scope
without a focus on any one version of BPCS.  So, what >I< would like to see is
anything and everything.  There will probably always be someone somewhere that
could
use that little piece of information you have to share.  There may be work
arounds
for problems encountered, ways to speed up BPCS as a whole, or ways to speed up
certain programs.  There may also be tips on how to "tweak" the AS/400 (and
please
forgive my focus on the 400) to get better usage.

For instance, there was a presentation made at the conference where it was
mentioned
that modifying the date conversion programs would result in drastic improvement
in
some batch program run times.  I will be following up on that for the
particulars.

Bill

Jesus de la Peņa wrote:

> At 07:45 AM 8/14/98 +0100, you wrote:
>
> I´m a BPCS V6.02/Informix- Unix User. I can give you some tips for increase
> the performance but need to know specific in wich program a typical problem
> is in customer order entry and is only to set some parameters in the jobq,
> smcUser Table and also in the Client for get a substantial performance.
>
> Customize reports is easy: BPCS report is a data file that we reformat and
> manipulate with a external program C program for example the customer Order
> format.
>
> Regards
>

> >DAsmussen@aol.com wrote:
> >
> >> (BTW, your mention of BPCS-L must have helped -- we've had about 20 people
> >> enroll this week!)
> >
> >Cool!
> >
> >> The training alone is enough of a reason for large businesses to
> consider other
> >> packages, ODW is just icing on the cake.
> >

> >> Performance is really a moot point, although it is a _BIG_ problem now
> for V4
> >> and lower users.
> >
> >You do contradict yourself, but do reinforce my point which I did not
> state well.  I
> >should correct myself by saying that I will never go to V6 as long as it is
> >codeveloped with UNIX.  The true statement is - I will never go to V6 as
> long as I
> >have to upgrade my box several levels, and work with a software package I
> can only
> >"configure" but not customize.  The windmill that I continue to joust is
> that the
> >package has suffered greatly trying to serve two masters and they would do
> themselves
> >a great favor by rethinking this policy.
> >
> >> . . . and knowing a few simple techniques
> >> can fix what SSA didn't see when they tested performance against the
> infamous
> >> education database (Can you say PENS?  I knew you could!).
> >
> >Dean, you have supplied at least one example of helping the performance.
> Would you
> >care to share the full suite of tips?  Maybe identifying which version(s)
> each tip
> >applies to will help everyone.  I encourage everyone to share their
> performance
> >tips.  Here's mine:  ACR300 performance got you down?  You may have one of
> the
> >versions of code that is written to perform a security check on every
> record it reads
> >for the inquiry screens.  Modify the code to check to see if the company
> has already
> >been checked through security.  In our case, company security was not
> necessary, so
> >it was skipped entirely. (I just checked CD and it seems they have
> [...]

+---