  • Subject: Re: Update from WABUG (Western Area BPCS User Group) Meeting
  • From: Bill Robins <brobins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 07:45:13 +0100

DAsmussen@aol.com wrote:

> (BTW, your mention of BPCS-L must have helped -- we've had about 20 people
> enroll this week!)

Cool!

> The training alone is enough of a reason for large businesses to consider
>other
> packages, ODW is just icing on the cake.

> Performance is really a moot point, although it is a _BIG_ problem now for V4
> and lower users.

You do contradict yourself, but do reinforce my point which I did not state
well.  I
should correct myself by saying that I will never go to V6 as long as it is
codeveloped with UNIX.  The true statement is - I will never go to V6 as long
as I
have to upgrade my box several levels, and work with a software package I can
only
"configure" but not customize.  The windmill that I continue to joust is that
the
package has suffered greatly trying to serve two masters and they would do
themselves
a great favor by rethinking this policy.

> . . . and knowing a few simple techniques
> can fix what SSA didn't see when they tested performance against the infamous
> education database (Can you say PENS?  I knew you could!).

Dean, you have supplied at least one example of helping the performance.  Would
you
care to share the full suite of tips?  Maybe identifying which version(s) each
tip
applies to will help everyone.  I encourage everyone to share their performance
tips.  Here's mine:  ACR300 performance got you down?  You may have one of the
versions of code that is written to perform a security check on every record it
reads
for the inquiry screens.  Modify the code to check to see if the company has
already
been checked through security.  In our case, company security was not
necessary, so
it was skipped entirely. (I just checked CD and it seems they have corrected
this
problem).

Bill

+---