  • Subject: Re: AS/SET Training /Consulting
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 00:27:05 EDT

Eric,

<<much snippage>>
> SSA is currently re-writing CEA/COM/OLM  in OPS (second generation) and the
> CEA team is actually using ODW. Another thing
>  to keep in mind for those considering buying BPCS GUI and ODW, is that
>  applications created with ODW will not be able to be run outside of BPCS.
In
>  the case of Asset you could use it as a development tool for your whole
>  enterprise, but you will not have that luxury with ODW. I realize this is
>  probably more than you wanted to hear, but I hope it helps.

Aaaaaahhhhhhh!  You've _GOT_ to be kidding, right?  Yet _ANOTHER_ GUI tool??!!
Not only that, but one that cannot be used outside of BPCS??!!  If so, Stuek
just lost all of the credibility he'd managed to build with me (among others)!

What kind of friggin' _IDIOTS_ are they listening to?  They had a CASE tool
(AS/Set) that was perfectly serviceable and could easily have been made into a
market leader if they had concentrated on fixing it instead of adding
"features" (read, marketing enhancements) to a product whose base code didn't
work as promised.  They then spent over five years working on IWS (the
demonstrated ODW code looked remarkably like this, BTW) and never got _IT_ to
work -- but that didn't stop a promise of ODW (NEWI, DOCA -- just IWS re-
written for a completely different OS) in less than a year.  They then put
BPCS into the ODO screen-scraper and tried to call it "Full Client".  We're
now two years+ past the original promise date for ODW, and _THEY'RE GOING TO
RE-WRITE IT AGAIN_??!!  HAVE THEY LOST THEIR MINDS???!!!  THIS IS EXACTLY
WHAT'S BEEN _KILLING_ THEM!!!  What sort of _IGNORAMUS_ would develop a
graphical tool that cannot be used to develop other things outside of BPCS
when there are so many on the market already?

With this concentration on "style over substance", you would think that the
Clinton administration is running SSA these days.  How on earth can they lay
off all those R&D folks and expect OPS to succeed?  Oh, _I_ know!  They didn't
lay off the people that come up with the new names!  ADK, IWS, UDK, UDK-U,
DOCA, NEWI, ODW, OPS, and ODW again.  Guess which of the latter can actually
generate useable code on a consistent basis (hint:  it's the only one that's
_NOT_ graphical)?

Still Reeling,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"A lot is two words.  ALOT is _NOT_ a word at all." -- My 10th Grade English
Teacher
+---