  • Subject: Re: BPCS 4.0.05CD
  • From: Chuck Lewis <CLEWIS@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 09:33:34 -0400

Glenn,

YOUCH - you guys didn't have to pay a penalty for keeping the CISC box did you
? Since we were
doing the "side-by-side" (I THINK that is what it was called), we had a certain
time frame to
be on the RISC box (we were going from a CISC 320 to RISC 530) and if we
slipped, the charges
were HIGH !!!

Chuck

Glenn Gundermann wrote:

> Chuck,
>
> Sounds like the same thing we went through.
>
> It took us 6 months to get RISC code from SSA.  We had to keep our CISC
> box several months past the end of the lease with the RISC box just
> taking up space.  We went up and down the ladder at SSA to no avail.
> Our Business Partner even complained at Common's Soundoff which stirred
> a few people.  No apologies from SSA either.
>
> They definately have THEIR priorities and it may or may not match yours.
>
> Good luck to all.
>
> Glenn
>
> Chuck Lewis wrote:
> >
> > Paul,
> >
> > You're not kidding ("comical if not pathetic")... We are running 4.0.03
>Live and 4.0.05
> > in Test and are doing our Y2K testing against 4.0.05/6. We started last
>fall with SSA
> > BEFORE the 4.0.05CD deal, and while there were some GREAT folks we dealt
>with, others
> > were clue less. We JUST wanted the latest 4.0.05 tapes (and ya, I know it's
>old) in
> > RISC. We had 4.0.05 but it was CISC... but their STUPID key programs and
>installation
> > programs were non-observable so the install kept blowing up... ALL we
>wanted was for
> > them to recompile the key and installation programs for CISC non-obversable
>and get
> > those to us so we could use the tapes we had. You would have thought we
>would have asked
> > for a blank check or something. "WHY would you want that", WHY would you
>not want to go
> > to 6.0 (we do, just not NOW...), etc. "There is NO WAY we can do that
>because we don't
> > have the source anymore, that's another part of the house, etc. It was
>UNREAL. They
> > would try to get us new tapes...
> >
> > Guess what - THEY couldn't FIND it ANYWHERE (at first) or reproduce it.
>They FINALLY got
> > a version off of one of their non-support line AS/400's (can't remember
>what that group
> > was called but they WERE helpful... Thanks Eilsa YOU are a treasure !!!!).
>I don't know
> > HOW many tapes they sent us before we got the what was supposed to be what
>we wanted. We
> > then had to "layer" all of this together and do a TON of other stuff... I
>have SERIOUS
> > doubts that we will EVER be able to do this over any other environment (and
>I'm NOT
> > alone in our shop...)..
> <snip>
> +---