  • Subject: Re: Pseudo-EDI in V4.0.5
  • From: DAsmussen <DAsmussen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 18:34:56 EDT

Bill,

> We are starting to get some pressure to begin EDI'ing with customers.
>  What have others done in the V4 series?  I would prefer to not go to an
>  EDI package.

I don't know what your aversion is to using a package, most V4 users do.  Most
also _DO NOT_ use the SSA product.  Premenos seems to be the most popular at
BPCS sites, although I've seen all of the "majors" used at one time or
another.  If your business is going to expand in the future at all, a package
will save you time in the long run (and the _VENDOR_ can spend time figuring
out what went wrong, instead of _YOU_ ;-)).

>  My current theory is this:  Format all of the incoming data and load it
>  into the Quote member.  From here a human would turn the "quote" into a
>  live order and thus do all of the processing necessary when creating an
>  order.  Is this sound?  Any other ways to accomplish it?

Seems like an awful lot of work if you're doing enough volume to justify EDI,
although it would be a valid route to take.  My current client would be
converting quotes to orders all day (and then some)!  If the company isn't
running 24 hour order entry (ORD500), you can also allocate the order files
and put the orders straight into the live files (most do this, OK as long as
you call the allocations API).

JMHO,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"A designer knows he's achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
+---