  • Subject: Fwd: COMMON Approacheth...
  • From: DAsmussen <DAsmussen@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 18:54:05 EDT

Jerome,

 <<snip>>
 > We were supposed to morph into SSTUF (SSA Systems Technical Users Forum)
 >  but got so tired of hearing how the AS/400 didn't matter that interest
 >  waned.
 >
 >  Any other AS/UG folk monitoring this?

 I attended Fall '95 AS/UG in Chicago, in the stead of my primary client at
the time.  I listened to Mr. Shakir say that AS/Set was dead, and that your
AS/Set programs wouldn't convert to ODW because it was procedural, and ODW was
object-oriented (after he showed up 4 hours late and said that his Mercedes
broke down -- you can't tell _ME_ that they don't have taxicabs in Chicago, or
that Riz couldn't _afford_ one (:).  I also watched Jim Franch's jaw drop to
his chest after someone mentioned Mr. Shakir's quote during a COMMON session,
and ask "why would have I just put BPCS into AS/Set if it was a dead
product?".  Why indeed.  Another case (no pun intended) of the left hand not
knowing what the right was doing at headquarters...

 IMO, AS/UG was a _FANTASTIC_ forum that should have done more to incorporate
BPCS users.  Instead, there were a bunch of hacked-off people that had just
purchased AS/Set hearing that they had poured their money down a hole.  Sean
Adams' (of Q-Inter Systems in Canada) presentation on using SQL in AS/Set was
just what V5 and (and now, V6) newbies needed.  Yes, I'm biased -- I worked
with Sean in Chicago on the C/S-COM prototype that was _supposed_ to have been
released with V_5_.  Other sessions were good as well, and are sorely missed.

 The membership requirements issue was _ABSOLUTELY LUDICROUS_.  AS/UG wasn't
affiliated with SSA in any way, form, or fashion -- so who _CARES_ where the
checks come from as long as they don't bounce?  OK, maybe you wouldn't want
reporters attending; however, a few consultants that didn't bother to purchase
AS/Set would enhance the group, IMO.  Speaking of which, _MY_ check from the
Fall '95 conference is still outstanding -- what happened to the money????

 The forum was good, and I'd be more than willing to help get it moving again
if anyone is interested...

 Regards!

 Dean Asmussen
 Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
 Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
 E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

 "If we fill our hours with regrets over yesterday, and with worries over
tomorrow, we will have no time to be thankful for today." -- Anonymous