  • Subject: Re: Covey Resignation (was: Re: IS THIS TRUE??????)
  • From: Cem Usakligil <cem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 12:23:50 +0200

Dear Dean,

Being an ex-SSA employee (6 years of service, most recently as principal
consultant) and having been working with BPCS since 1984 to date, I could
not agree more. I truly don't understand how R. Covey, of all people, can
ever be seen as a savior. IMHO, I think that his come back as CEO had been
quite damaging to SSA, which was then, again in my own opinion, on its way
to becoming a mature and stable company.

Best regards,

Cem Usakligil
Objects Unlimited BV
cem@objectsunlimited.com
www.objectsunlimited.com

At 01:18 10-4-98 EDT, you wrote:
> [...]
portion
>of the current release's problems.  I am not "disappointed" at all -- the
fact
>is that SSA had _ALREADY_ lost more "customers/business" than it can even
>_HOPE_ to recover within the next two years.  I know for a _fact_ that either
>Roger himself, or in conjuction with a certain "player to be named later",
was
>responsible for at least 3 (last minute) changes in direction for AS/Setizing
>INV500 for V6 -- to this day it averages a BMR/week for 6.0.02, heaven help
>6.0.04 users.  Roger is a visionary, but did not have the patience to run SSA
>when he came back, because it had become too big in his absence.  His
focus is
>very short, and I've heard from more than one person that "If your presenting
>in a meeting with Roger, keep it under 5 minutes because he'll lose
interest".
>I've also heard from more than one person that the man jumps up as soon as
the
>"Fasten Seatbelt" light goes off on a plane flight and paces the aisles until
>the light comes back on.  Like a certain President with whom I'm familiar, he
>tries to be "all things to all people", and fails at both.  In 1995, Roger
>evoked _LAUGHTER_ at the Pharmaceutical User Group meeting when he presented
>the BPCS roll-out plan.  He needs to be designing systems rather than running
>projects or managing people, or a company, IMO.  I view his departure as a
>_VERY_ positive step for SSA.  EDITORIAL MODE (*OFF) (for now).

>4.  From a source which will forever remain unnamed, I understand that Mr.
>Steuk has been speaking with customers and received the following two
>"sucks".  "We'll be working on those for now".  The next day, it was
announced
>that you can now e-mail your problems to help line, with software available
>for doing so -- a _REALLY_ good sign.
>
>In short, I _personally_ couldn't be happier over Roger's departure, although
>I would have preferred to see him take over a "technology thinktank" role
>currently held by, uhh, that "player to be named later" -- if for no other
>reason than that so many long-time BPCS customers consider him to be their
>"Lord God Protector and Saviour".  After more than 5 years of development on
>the IWS product without success, the "player to be named later" thought that
>they could come up with a CORBA compliant GUI tool in less than _TWO_?  Come
>on...I see people like Jim Franch, that truly _CARE_ about BPCS clients,
>getting _bupkiss_ from SSA -- while people that want to hop on the "bleeding
>edge" get all the resources.
>My opinion in summary:  Roger leaving -- pretty much good; Others leaving --
>good as well, depending upon who they are; Mr. Stuek -- maybe the best thing
>that's happened to SSA in over five years...

Cem Usakligil
cem@usakligil.com
Tel: +31-653814224
+---