  • Subject: Re: 6.0.02 WMS Client Server
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 13:13:57 EST

Judy,

> Does anyone know of a plant or warehouse using BPCS/WMS with bar coded
>  data collection devices?

None that _I'm_ aware of.  Under V5, we used CIMPath to interface our foreign
devices and programs.  Under V6, we created an "edit only" version of the
INV500 Batch Update program that passes back a 100-element MSGID array for
errors encountered.  If element one of the latter is blank, the intitial
program is allowed to call the regular INV500 Batch Update program, else loop
through the MSGID array performing DSPERR until the first blank element is
found.

We did the same for INV510 and SFC600, although we had to "patch together" a
batch version of SFC600D1 ourselves.  SSA doesn't provide a Batch Update
program for labor tickets.

Be forewarned that the performance of these three functions is _extremely_
slow with a large database, and we're looking at "taking ownership" of a few
more BPCS base programs to yank out the stupid SQL that SSA used everywhere.
Of course, you're running UNIX -- SQL is _supposed_ to run _FAST_ there!

Regards,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." --
Sir Winston Churchill
+---