  • Subject: Re: EDI corp Trading Documents System
  • From: "Tom McKeel " <tmckeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 08:42:04 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Christine Hales <chales@schukra.com>
To: BPCS-L@midrange.com <BPCS-L@midrange.com>
Date: Thursday, January 15, 1998 4:25 PM

We have used Optio's FormsExpress software for two years under BPCS 5.1.1
and have already redesigned our forms for our 6.0.2plf implementation.  We
use it for all of our host (AS/400) base forms generation.  We choose to use
the host based forms generation application for design and testings, but
their GUI product may also be a good product.  Two years ago it wasn't what
we wanted.

>You wrote:  We are examining the ITD document manager product
>from EDI corp as part of a BPCSv6 implementation. Does anyone have
>recent experience with this product?.......
>
> We had EDI give us a demo in August, when we were looking for a forms
>supplier.  We looked at their ITD (International Trade Documents) & their
>DTD (Domestic Trade Documents).  The setup of the forms was Windows-based,
>and seemingly easy to move around in.  It looked flashy, but there were a
>few major problems that deterred us from choosing them - the two biggest
>being:
>1) *ALL* BPCS output had to go through them (their product sits on your LAN
>server).  You were then left to figure out a way to sort out what wasn't
>"form" material & send it on it's way.  (And the user had to go into the
>Export software & release the form *each* time!)
>
>2) Every time you created a conditional statement (e.g.. if company = 10,
>print logo "ABC"), you were creating a new form.  ITD would copy it over
>for you, but any changes after that had to be made to each form.
>
>   All in all, the comfort level was just not there.  We had some real
>concerns & questions, to which their reply was "Don't worry... that's not
>an issue..." - but no real answer.  And the price was rather steep.....
>
> In the end, we decided to go with a company called Optio.  They told us
>how there product worked, and followed it up with a thorough demonstration.
> Everything they sold us on was in their package.  The only downfall to
>Optio, was that most of the form creation is server-based (but not terribly
>difficult).  Their latest release, however, has a fully-functional GUI
>designer.
>
> If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them.
>
> -Christine

>| To submit a new message, send your mail to "BPCS-L@midrange.com".
>+---
>uucp