  • Subject: TurnOver & Set/TURN managing Y2k
  • From: Jromeh@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 00:11:15 -0500 (EST)

Hi, all--

This is some slightly edited correspondence on new AS/SET ADK versions
and their compatibility with SoftLanding's TurnOver CMS and Set/TURN
interface for AS/SET ADK definitions. Dean had asked me if he could
forward it, took out the company specific bits and did so myself.

HTH,

Jerome

-- quoting from email between concerned parties...

1) SSA has not yet distributed (ADK) 6.0.4 in England, so KDP haven't yet
been able to test with it.

2) TurnOver 4.2 is Y2k compliant, but we're (Jerome's client) still
running 4.1 because of Set/TURN compatibility issues. This is not yet an
issue, (we) can run TurnOver without Y2k capabilities for quite some time
before it will become an issue.

3) KDP is expecting to see 6.0.4 around the Christmas break, and should
have a millennium compliant Set/TURN available by middle to end of
January. This will allow us to upgrade TurnOver to 4.2, which is already
Y2k compliant.

I've communicated with another SoftLanding client (Dean) whose shop is
running AS/SET 6.0.2 (not 6.0.4, but including some other changes like 25
extension lines and BPCS 6.0.x percent sign functions, the reason they
upgrade). They are using the same versions as GBC (TO 4.1, ST 2.6), but
the person who set it up has left and they are unsure whether any
additional patches were created to make this happen. I asked (SoftLanding
tech support) to look into this for us. (Answer--There were no special
fixes for 6.0.2).

(Support at) SoftLanding doesn't recommend changing the system date for
testing until after 4.2 and a compatible Set/TURN version are up and
running. We talked about possibly locking down TO, changing the date,
testing, restoring the date, and then resuming TO processing. (They)
agreed that this would probably work if we needed to do date shift
testing before a Y2k Set/TURN is delivered, as long as we don't run TO
while the date is "wrong" and tests are happening. This also effectively
shuts down our ability to do valid support testing during the time the
date is changed.

Looking at the changes detailed in the AS/SET 6.0.4 net change document,
I don't believe that they will affect the program interfaces used by
Set/TURN. If we need to start running AS/SET 6.0.4 before we get a Y2k
capable Set/TURN, we can back up the current AS/SET database, install the
new release, and test how it works on our own. If it looks good, we'll go
forward with it, if not, we'll fall back to the backup and wait.

This leaves a couple of questions on our end:

1) When converting AS/SET code using NexGen's tool, are the date issues
related to use of the %NOD (Number of Days) function handled without the
changes in ADK v6.0.4? The 6.0.4 release changes ADK to respect a
configurable pivot year when determining a date. Believe this update is
also needed before ADK's date functions know about Feb. 29, 2000.

Answer--Nexgen's ADK tool has a flag that tells it whether to insert code
to fix ADK's (prior) ignorance of 2/29/2000. Once 6.0.4 is up, flip the
flag and regenerate, that inserted code stops being generated and 6.0.4's
fixed functions take over. That's the idea anyway, will be some testing
to be sure it all works fine, for sure.

2) When is our date shifted testing scheduled to begin? If testing to
this level doesn't start until after 2/1/98, perhaps we should just wait
on this. Otherwise, there are issues that must be explored and strategies
for dealing with this need that must be formulated and executed.

Answer--Still waiting on this answer.

Anyway, hope this helps or is of interest to someone out there. If you
have similar interests or questions, let's hear about them. The JAVA-400L
is starting to percolate (groan), surely others have BPCS and AS/SET tech
questions to supplement the application stuff that's been dribbling in...
<G>

TTFN

Jerome Hughes                     jromeh@aol.com
InterPro Consulting Services      www.interproinc.com
Rosemont, IL USA                  these are my own opinions only

OMNI User Communications Dir.     www.omniuser.org

"Remember, I started this company in my parent's garage." Steve Jobs

+---