  • Subject: Re: SSA Settles Suit ??
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 08:07:11 -0400 (EDT)

Steve,

<<snip>>
> As an aside,
>  we are finalizing our plans to address our BPCS and Y2K.
>  This includes tools, service providers, H/W, etc.
>  Part of this includes our BPCS licensing.
>  We are running on a 310 and had planned on moving to a 510
>  because of IBMs pushing to get on RISC. Now that the "e"
>  models are out, we were thinking of a 620 since that's the
>  path IBM supports. It would also move us from a P30 machine
>  to a P20 one so some charges would be less.
>  Currently we have CPU based licensing and SSA wants us to move
>  to user-based. For the privilege of limiting the number of users
>  who can use BCPS, SSA wants an amount we consider completely
>  unreasonable.
<<snip>>

Where in the HECK did THIS come from?  You are correct in that this is
entirely unreasonable!  What do they consider a "user"?  We've got 20+ "touch
screens" running custom VB applications and 40+ InduComp terminals running a
custom shop floor reporting program, all of which interface to BPCS -- are
these considered "users"?  It's my understanding that my primary client paid
MEGA $ for a corporate BPCS license.  Is the latter now null and void?

DARN IT, if SSA would just concentrate on making their software work, they
wouldn't NEED to invent these ancillary "revenue enhancements"...

JMHO,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-Mail:  DAsmussen@AOL.COM

"A warm smile is the universal language of kindness." -- William Arthur Ward
+---